Thursday, December 16, 2010

What's love got to do with it?




I doubt I'll be sleeping very soundly tonight. Tonight..like almost every night, I get my mind blown by the same thought. What is love? Is love how I see my parents treat each other? Is love what I see in my Grandfather's eyes when he sees my Grandmother in the nursing home? Is love what I feel for someone that I would hate losing? Is love even generic? I wish I knew sometimes...I wish I could map out my future, every day, every step, and just know what was going to happen, because so much of how I live my life revolves around how much I love people. So itt would make this LIFE thing a whole lot easier if I knew, right?...

A weird thing happens when you open the Bible looking for the definition of love. You know why? It's because you don't get one clear definition, you get countless (hundreds) of verses defining every aspect of love and even better, you get parables to illustrate some of them. Just a few I can think of from the top of my head:

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Song of Solomon 8:6
Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame

John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

1 Corinthians 13:4–8
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails ...

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.

So what does all of this mean? I think the answer really isn't supposed to be generic. I think the origin OF love comes from the Father. Let's be honest...if we were to walk in the shoes of Christ, wouldn't it be the pinnacle of love? Jesus Christ is the total embodiment OF love. Living like Christ, sacrificing, humbling ourselves in His shadow and grace...and remembering that all He asked in return for his death on the cross was our repentance and faith...I doubt LOVE needs more definition than the ultimate sacrifice. God's only Son...

Boom. Write that down Webster.

No comments:

Post a Comment