Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Unconditional



We just drove up from downstate to Petoskey, after spending a nice, long weekend with my grandparents. I really cannot describe how awesome is was to see my grandfather and be able to spend so much time with my grandmother, who is suffering from Alzheimer's in a nursing facility. It's always difficult to see my grandmother after being away at school for months and coming home again. As her disease progresses, we're literally watching her fade away, mentally and emotionally. I understand though, as difficult as it is for me to watch her eyes darken each time I see her, I can only begin to understand how my grandfather and mother feel watching their wife and mother disappear. As devastating as Alzheimer's is, and as upsetting as it is knowing that my grandmother will pass away soon, it is very comforting to know that soon she will be with the Lord. It is so inspiring to see the love my grandfather has for my grandma. IT's a love that truly demonstrates the hands and feet of Jesus Christ. Unconditional love, absolute, never changing, never fading. TRUE love. They just celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary and I truly think their love has only grown stronger.

Selfishly, I only pray that the man I marry someday will love me that much, and I him. Is it selfish to think that? It's so amazing to see unconditional love, between my grandparents, between my parents, and just all around me. It reminds me that if we as humans have the capacity to love others with every ounce of our being, how truly HUGE the Father loves us. MIND BOGGLING. So as sad as it is knowing that my grandmother will pass away soon, it's both comforting and beautiful to know that she will be with the Lord soon.

Throughout this 7-year process of watching the disease progress, I've grown tremendously closer to God and my family. It's really shown me how to love others and be the hands and feet of Jesus. Unconditional love, although not perfect (for humans), is so evident in my family and I am so grateful for that. It is rewarding to think about the unconditional love Christ had for us when He sent His only Son to die for our sins on the cross. We didn't deserve that, and we may not deserve the love others give to us, but living like Christ is a challenge...so this Christmas, let's do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment